Sunday 12 May 2019

Psalms 73-76

Image may contain: ocean and text

Whom Have I in Heaven but You?
The psalmist speaks of a time when he was captivated by the things of the world and the people in it. But when he understood the destination of those who live their lives apart from God, he turned away from the allure of the world to the goodness of God. “I was brutish and ignorant” the psalmist wrote; “I was like a beast toward You. Nevertheless, I am continually with You; You hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward You receive me to glory” (Psalms 73:22-24). The Psalmist expresses the theme that we have a choice. We can choose to be like the beast that perishes, or we can choose to worship God. We cannot do both. And if we choose God, we must desire nothing on earth but Him. But if we choose God, His enemies become our enemies and we will need His constant guidance and counsel. We will need to be holding His hand so that by His strength we may suffer in the immediate for the glory in our future. Dear Father, “Whom have I in heaven but You? And besides You, I desire nothing on earth. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. For, behold, those who are far from You will perish; You have destroyed all those who are unfaithful to You. But as for me, the nearness of God is my good; I have made the Lord God my refuge, that I may tell of all Your works” (Psalms 73:25-28).


No comments:

Post a Comment